2 days, 1 night
✔️ The tour is family friendly
✔️ Small group experience
✔️ No special skills or previous experience required!
✔️ Transfers from/to your hotel
✔️ Professional, English-speaking guide
✔️ Transportation during your journey
✔️ Ranua Zoo tickets
✔️ Buffet lunch at the Zoo
✔️ Wood-fired Finnish sauna
✔️ Winter swimming/lake swimming
✔️ Towels, slippers for the sauna
✔️ Dinner - salmon cooked on an open fire and local produce
✔️ Non-alcoholic beverages
✔️ Northern Lights - if you’re lucky :)
✔️ Overnight in a traditional Finnish Villa, double room with shared toilet
✔️ Breakfast - pastries, wild berries, open sandwiches, etc
PLEASE BRING WITH YOU:
- Swimming suit
- Seasonal outdoor clothing
- At least 2 people are required for this product to take place
- Small group experience guaranteed. Max. group size is 8 people.
- Northern Lights season September - April
- Midnight sun season June - August
- Northern Lights are a natural occurrence and we are unable to guarantee activity, vibrancy or colour on the evening of the safari
- The tour operates in all weather conditions
- Not recommended for kids under 4 years old
- Tours include a pick up & drop off transfer from your accommodation in the area of central Rovaniemi. Time for meeting point and place will be confirmed upon the reservation.
- Missing the pick-up does not entitle you to a refund of the price paid for the services. You are responsible to be ready for pick up at the assigned pick up point from the start of the pick up time in order to not miss our guides when they arrive to pick you up
- All our guides have undertaken our own training program and are highly qualified. Guidance is provided in English, some of the other languages are available at an additional cost
- Nordic Adventures reserves the right to make alterations to the programs, price, duration or form of transportation without prior warning. This is also applied to changes in programs due to weather conditions
- More than 48 hours notice - 90% refund
- Less than 48 hours or no show notice - No refund
- As we start to incur costs from the time the contract is confirmed we will apply cancellation charges as shown below from the time when written notification of the cancellation is received
About this tour
We’ll pick you up from either the railway station, Rovaniemi airport or your accommodation within 10km of central Rovaniemi starting from 9:30 am. From here, you and your bags will be whisked to the northernmost zoo in the world, Rauna Zoo, in a comfortable minivan.
You’ll be guided around the 2.5km forest loop that makes up Rauna Zoo. There’ll be breaks along the way where you can ask questions, check out any art installations that are onsite and enjoy an open fire. There will be plenty of opportunities for you to take photos of the arctic animals too, of course. When we all get back to the main office, you’ll sit down for a hearty buffet lunch, with plenty of local delicacies, and bottomless warm drinks.
After you’ve checked out the shopping, you’ll make your way to your cosy accommodation at Villa Lande. It’s a traditional Finnish house hidden deep in the forest, far away from its closest neighbours. Here, you’ll settle into your double room and spend some time exploring the forest as the sauna heats up. Then, it’s time to enjoy your Lappish spa treatment - jumping between the wood-fired sauna and the lake.
In winter, the lake will be mostly frozen, so you’ll get to experience the rejuvenating benefits of the temperature changes between the sauna, the snow and the frigid waters that you’ll bravely dive into. In summer, you’ll still get the benefits of temperature changes, but the jump into the lake will be a little less of a shock!
A warm Lappish dinner will be provided before you head outdoors again to experience more Nordic phenomena. In the winter, you’ll go into the forest to hunt the mystical northern lights. The only lights will be your head torches, so, if the conditions allow, there’s a good chance you’ll get to see the auroras. If you don’t feel like exploring, the lights will be visible from directly outside the property (if they’re out at all).
In summer, there’ll be plenty of daylight left after dinner. The fantastic light from the midnight sun makes for incredible photos, so explore and photograph to your heart’s content before bed.
You’ll be greeted with a lavish breakfast when you wake up - with wild Lappish berries, pastries and open sandwiches. After breakfast, you’ll pack up your stuff and put on your warm clothes before heading out into the forest once more for snowshoeing or Nordic hiking (with poles).
You’ll be provided with all the gear you need for either snowshoeing or hiking and your guide will help you master the basics. Snowshoes are easy to use and you don’t need to be a skilled outdoors person to master them. All you need is reasonably good balance, warm clothes and a sense of adventure.
You’ll be shown the best route to take, before being left to your own devices to explore the quiet virgin forest. It’ll be daylight when you set out regardless of season, so there’ll be plenty of photo opportunities in the perfect, scenic landscape. If you visit between July and September, you’ll be able to pick your own wild berries from the forest. Don’t stress - your guide will let you know which ones are safe to eat!
After you return to the Villa from your hike, you’ll make your way to a traditional Kota for lunch. Kotas are ingeniously-engineered wooden huts with that have been used in Lapland for centuries for warmth - and to guard from the mosquitos in summer. They’re really cosy and definitely worth checking out during your time in Lapland.
They have an open fireplace in the centre, which you’ll sit around as you enjoy yet another delicious and hearty lunch. Don’t worry about the smoke, the structure of the Kota will take care of that for you.
After lunch, you’ll make your way back to Rovaniemi. You’ll likely be back by about 2 pm, so you’ll have plenty of time to check-in to whatever adventure is up next.